CLAUDIA SLANEY - ARTIST
I am a watercolour artist seeking to bring a distinctive and contemporary feel to a beautiful and traditional medium. The stunning effects produced by the interactions of the different pigments with water, paper and each other are impossible to resist, so that of all the mediums it is always watercolour I return to.
Since returning from Europe my focus has been on New Zealand towns and landscapes, and the abstract images that emerge from these local scenes.
I am largely self taught, but have attended numerous workshops over the years in New Zealand and internationally.
While living in London I regularly attended life drawing classes at Candid Arts Trust, drawing and painting classes at the Royal Academy through NEAC, and numerous workshops at the Sir John Soanes Museum. Recently I have attended short courses including classes at Whitecliffe College of Arts and Design.
Since 2015 I have been invited to participate in the annual 'Artists in Eden' event, along with many of Auckland's prominent artists. You can read about the event here.
I am a working and associate member of several New Zealand Art Societies, and regularly give demonstrations and leads classes and workshops. I participate in their group exhibitions, as well as holding solo shows. My work is held in a range of local galleries and in private collections in New Zealand, Australia, London, and New York.
I have a strong interest in, and knowledge of materials, and my passion for works on paper is evident in both my results and my classes.
I take both group and private classes within New Zealand and abroad.
Commissions: 2019 - I am not currently accepting commission work.
2018 - Commission process: I prefer to visit and work from my own reference photos. If this is not possible I can take a look at photos you supply and advise whether I believe I can use them to create a painting. Have a look at some previous commission pieces here.
Once a commission is agreed, a 50% non refundable deposit is required, with the balance of payment to be made on completion of the work. Very little can be done to change a watercolour once completed. If you choose to have a commission painted, you will need to trust that I will paint the scene to the best of my abilities, along the lines of other work of mine that you have seen.
Commissions are usually priced (unframed) from $650, up to $1500 for a large piece.
If you see work on my site that is marked as sold, I may be able to complete a similar, commissioned piece for you.
Recent Awards include:
- First Place in the Franklin Arts Festival Watercolour section, 2018.
- Third Place (and a merit award) in Watercolours, for the fourth time in 6 years, at the Auckland Easter Show (2013, 2014, 2016, 2018)
- First Place Still Life in the Annual Fellowship of Artists Annual Exhibition and Awards Show 2016
- Second place in the Annual Auckland Watercolour Society Merit Exhibition
- Finalist in the Cliftons Art Prize International Competition 2015
- Third Place in the Professional Section of the Great Summer Art Exhibition
- First Place at the 2014 Auckland Watercolour Society Annual Show
- First Place at the Fellowship of Artists Working Members Exhibition 2014
- Third Place at the 2014 Royal Easter Show Watercolours section for the second consecutive year
- Finalist, and second place in the people choice awards in the 2014 Peters Doig Marlborough Art Awards
- First Place in the Watercolour section of the Fellowship of Artists Working and Associate Members Exhibition 2013
- Finalist, and winner of the Cliftons Art Prize People's Choice Award Auckland 2013
- Second Place and Peoples Choice Award in the 2013 Auckland Watercolour Society Annual Exhibition
- Third Place in the Water Colour section of the Royal Easter Show 2013
- Merit Award in the Pollok Gallery Annual Exhibition 'Abstraction'
- Highly Commended Merit Award / Third place across all media types in the Fellowship of Artists Spring Exhibition
- Finalist in the TCAC Emerging Artist Awards