I want to produce loose and expressive paintings, lost and found edges and spaces, something evocative and even a bit mysterious.
My works should enhance your surroundings, draw you in, change with the light throughout the day.
Claudia is a watercolour artist seeking to bring a distinctive and contemporary feel to a beautiful and traditional medium. 'The stunning effects produced by the interactions of the different pigments with water, paper and each other are impossible to resist!
Since returning from Europe her focus has been on New Zealand towns and landscapes, and the abstract images that emerge from these local scenes.
She is largely self taught, but has attended numerous workshops and masterclasses over the years in New Zealand and internationally.
While living in London she regularly attended life drawing classes at Candid Arts Trust, drawing and painting classes at the Royal Academy through NEAC, and numerous workshops at the Sir John Soanes Museum. Since returning to New Zealand she has attended short courses inlcuding classes at Whitecliffe College of Arts and Design.
For the last 3 years she has been invited to participate in the the 'Artists in Eden' event, along with some of Aucklands best known artists. You can read about the event here.
She is a working and associate member of several New Zealand Art Societies, and regularly gives demonstrations and leads classes and workshops. She participates in their group exhibitions, as well as holding several solo shows each year.
Her work is held in a range of local galleries and in private collections in New Zealand, Australia, London, and New York.
She has a strong interest in, and knowledge of materials, and her passion for works on paper is evident in both her results and classes.
Claudia takes both group and private classes.
Claudia has painted numerous commissions. She prefers to visit and take her own reference photos. If this is not possible she will take a look at photos you supply and advise whether she believes she can use them to create a painting. Have a look at some previous commission pieces here.
Recent Awards include:
- First Place Still Life in the Annual Fellowship of Artists Annual Exhibition and Awards Show 2016
- Second place in the Annual Auckland Watercolour Society Merit Exhibition
- Third Place (and a merit award) in Watercolours, for the third time in 4 years, at the Auckland Easter Show 2016
- Finalist in the Cliftons Art Prize International Competition 2015
- Third Place in the Professional Section of the Great Summer Art Exhibition
- First Place at the 2014 Auckland Watercolour Society Annual Show
- First Place at the Fellowship of Artists Working Members Exhibition 2014
- Third Place at the 2014 Royal Easter Show Watercolours section for the second consecutive year
- Finalist, and second place in the people choice awards in the 2014 Peters Doig Marlborough Art Awards
- First Place in the Watercolour section of the Fellowship of Artists Working and Associate Members Exhibition 2013
- Finalist, and winner of the Cliftons Art Prize People's Choice Award Auckland 2013
- Second Place and Peoples Choice Award in the 2013 Auckland Watercolour Society Annual Exhibition
- Third Place in the Water Colour section of the Royal Easter Show 2013
- Merit Award in the Pollok Gallery Annual Exhibition 'Abstraction'
- Highly Commended Merit Award / Third place across all media types in the Fellowship of Artists Spring Exhibition
- Finalist in the TCAC Emerging Artist Awards